Visa Direct

I was unsure if I qualified for the International Graduate Scheme, however after speaking with a specialist my application was swiftly dealt with and I have my one year work Visa completed the following day. Mr M.Muzammil

From 1 February 2005, people who are subject to Immigration control who wish to marry in the UK will need to follow new procedures. They must either:

  • Hold entry clearance as a fiancĂ©/e or marriage visitor, or
  • Hold a Home Office certificate of approval, or
  • Be a person with settled status in the U.K. (e.g. Indefinite Leave to Remain)

People who are subject to immigration control will also be required to give notice to marry at one of a number of designated register offices throughout the UK.

To qualify for the certificate of approval from the Home Office, you must have been granted leave to enter or leave to remain for more than 6 months from the date that you were admitted into the U.K. and three months of that leave must still remain. The certificate of approval is valid:

  • For three months from the date it is issued; or
  • To the date when your leave to enter/remain expires, if this is less

You must give notice of your intention to marry to a registrar at a designated register office within this time.

These rules do not apply to anyone who has already given notice to marry to a registrar before 1 February 2005.

This visa may be applied for if a foreign national marries a British citizen, or person who has settlement status in the UK. If the applicant is outside of the UK then he/she must apply for Entry Clearance in order to be permitted to travel to the UK specifically as a "Spouse."

The Visa, once issued, allows the holder to work without restriction and to exit and re-enter the UK multiple times for a 2 year period. The 2 years issued, is a probationary period, whereby shortly before the end of the visa, the Home Office will require to see proof that the couple has been genuinely living together throughout the length of the visa as man and wife.

At the end of the 2-year period provided the marriage is genuine and that it will continue to subsist the Home Office may consider issuing a status called "Indefinite Leave to Remain" (ILR). This is commonly called "Full Residency" or "Permanent Residency."

VISA DIRECT can apply using our fast track service, you will have your visa within 24 hours. We aim to beat any fee quoted to you by other companies.


Latest News


Protesters Target Byron

Read more text  


Home Office wins Appeal against ruling on four Syrian refugees

Read more text  


Status of EU Nationals living in UK

Read more text  





Route Planner

Journey Planner


OISC Number: F200500062

Home Marriage