Visa Direct

Affordable, Reliable and very knowledgeable. My Work Permit was granted for 5 years without any grief. Mr H.D.Plessis
EEA and Swiss Nationals

This section briefly explains the roles and responsibilities of those who are from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Those from either the EEA or Switzerland are entitled to live and work within the UK; this is called the right of residence. If you have the right to live in the UK your family members may be entitled to join you. If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals and they wish to come to the UK to live permanently or long-term with you, then they will need to apply for a Family Permit at their nearest British Diplomatic Post before attempting to enter the UK.

Registration certificates, residence cards and family member residence stamps

A registration certificate is issued to EEA nationals, which confirms their right to live and work in the UK under European Law. However, as an EEA national you are not required to have a registration certificate to enter, live or work in the UK. For the non-EEA family members of EEA nationals, a residence card will be issued to confirm their right to live and work in the UK under European Law.

For non-EEA family members of those who are currently on the Workers Registration Scheme (Nationals of Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia) are eligible to apply for a residence card once the member of the Worker Registration Scheme has completed 12 months of continuous work in the UK. If however, the individual registered on the Workers Registration Scheme has not completed the required time, then in order to confirm their right of residence in the UK under European Law, the non-EEA family members should apply for a family member residence stamp.

Permanent Residence

For those EEA and Swiss nationals who have completed five years of work, self-employment, study or being self-sufficient in the UK, can apply for confirmation of their permanent residence. The document issued will have no expiry date. Please note, for residence in the UK to be deemed as continuous, you should not be absent from the UK for longer than six months in each year of the qualifying period. Extended absences such as military service, pregnancy, child birth, study, serious illness, or posting overseas, will not affect your residency status. Non-EEA family members will be issued with an endorsement in their passport, which will be valid for 10 years

Transfer of residence card or stamp
If you are issued with a new passport and would like your residence card or family member residence stamp transferred, you will need to make a new application.

Latest News


Protesters Target Byron

Read more text  


Home Office wins Appeal against ruling on four Syrian refugees

Read more text  


Status of EU Nationals living in UK

Read more text  





Route Planner

Journey Planner


OISC Number: F200500062

Home EEA and Swiss Nationals